5 Habits to Live a Longer, Healthier Life
It is not too late! Even if you haven't lived the best or healthiest life, you can still turn it around and add years to your life. Research has proven so.
Has stress taken a toll, fatigue set in, a weakened immune system or digestion becomes less balanced?
Well, don't throw the towel in just yet! You CAN make it better. You CAN make the changes to be healthier and turn these symptoms around. Let's break the cycle now.
I am positive you have heard many of these before. Sometimes it takes repetition for it to click. Sometimes you read something at just the right time. I hope that is today.
1. Stop Smoking NOW! You can not keep smoking and expect to live a healthy life. It is just not possible. Aside from increasing your chances of cancer by a gazillion percent, it affects your digestion, increases free radicals in your body, breaks down your skin and tissues, organs and creates inflammation.
2. Add in regular physical activity. You do not have to go out and join a CrossFit gym. You do not have to run a marathon. You just have to move on a regular basis. If you look at some of the longest living cultures, they are called blue zones (goggle it), they do not do strenuous amounts of exercise. They just move regularly. Walking, riding a bike leisurely, gardening, swimming etc. If you sit behind a desk all day, don't go home and sit on the couch the rest of the night. Try for 30 minutes, 4 times a week.
3. Decrease Fast and Fried Food. Decrease Sweets. Decrease Sugary Sodas. You know this. Enough said.
4. Increase fiber and vegetables. Increase water. 1/2 to 2/3 of your plate should be covered in veggies. Fiber and water are a natural way to push toxins out of the body. Instead of looking for the next "hot detox or cleanse" start at home with increasing your green or fibrous veggies and doubling your water intake. This will do more for helping to heal you gut and remove inflammation than any magic detox can ever do.
5. Reduce alcohol. Every time we have a drink, our body has to detoxify the alcohol. You get the 'buzz" from alcohol because it is actually a slight poisoning of our system. I am not saying not to drink at all, I definitely enjoy a nice glass of wine or a margarita every once in awhile. BUT I am not consuming a drink or two a night because it is good "for my heart" NO! Eating a well balanced diet, staying active, drinking water, getting good sleep and managing my stress is GOOD FOR MY HEART.
The research is there. Incorporating these habits can add on 10+ years to your life. That is 10 more years of travel, family and living a high quality life. I don't know about you, but I don't work this hard now, to spend my later life shuffling back and forth between Dr. visits and taking 13 medications.